We quite like the old English proverb ‘March comes in like a lion and goes out like a lamb’, it says something about the ferocity and unpredictability of winter at the start of the month ebbing away to finish with a softer, gentler reawakening: the start of spring.
Spring just puts that little bit of extra-happy bounce in our stride: The days are getting longer thanks to the official start of the Spring Equinox (friendly reminder – if you’re in the UK the clocks officially ‘spring forward’ on Sunday 28th of March); the sun has his hat more often than not; we’re planting lots of lovely things in our garden; we’re spring cleaning (we must try harder at doing this!) and…we’re spring cleansing.
If you’re thinking about adding a spring-step in your skincare routine this month, we’ve had a root around in the Scence store cupboard and listed out a few of our go-to favourite vegan skincare products along with tips for a rejuvenating spring cleanse.
Natural skincare ideas for spring
1. Exfoliate. Take a nice long bath or shower and exfoliate to get rid of dry, unwanted skin to help encourage new cell growth. Exfoliator mitts are good for clearing dead skin and restoring a natural ‘glow’. Spend a bit of time on areas that are prone to drying out, such as elbows, hands, feet and knees.
2. Use a gentle moisturiser to rehydrate and smooth skin. We’ve picked out our Perfect Rose body balm which contains a melting mango butter moisturiser, coupled with delicate, fragrant rose geranium oil – a beautiful fragrance for natural skincare this spring. The Perfect Rose body balm can be used daily and creates a wonderful silky feeling. Take a look: Buy vegan body moisturiser
3. Concentrate on areas prone to dry skin. For your elbows and feet, which can sometimes get extra-dry and may need a bit of added TLC (we’re guilty of forgetting about them occasionally!), we use a hand balm like Fragrant Berry. If you suffer from dry skin in these areas then you can use this hand balm as part of your natural skincare for spring without it being greasy or over-powering.
4. Use natural oils. If you suffer from skin conditions like eczema, then products which contain natural oils have a wonderful way of locking in moisture. The jojoba and calendula oils in our Fresh Cedar vegan hand balm offers protection and aromatherapeutic benefits. The rice bran wax that we use in our hand balms seals in the goodness and moisture-giving properties of our natural oils.
5. Great skincare starts from within. Sorry to hark back to ‘you are what you eat’, but it is so true! Eating a rainbow of healthy, unprocessed foods coupled with keeping hydrated can make a huge difference to how your skin looks on the outside and, importantly, how you feel on the inside.
6. Keep it simple. Natural skincare for spring needn’t be complicated, and you don’t need a mountain of products in your armory. Find something that suits your skin type and that you love using and…go for it!
7. Try something new! If you’re looking for vegan skincare for spring and haven’t tried out a Scence body balm or hand balm yet, give them a whirl. If you do, we’d love to hear what you think! Join our community over on our Facebook page or our Instagram page.
We love sharing our products with you and hope you love them as much as we do. Take a look at our shop page if you want to find out more or to buy vegan body moisturiser, or buy our natural vegan hand balms.
Happy spring cleansing!